Wellington City Council are considering charging for weekend parking. We made a submission in support. Here’s what we wrote.
We support the proposal. We see three positive ‘behaviour change’ effects:
- more people choosing to use public or active transport for weekend visits to the CBD
- better availability of the existing roadside parks for those who need to drive
- paid off-street parking becomes relatively more attractive (even if prices go up by the same amount, the comparison is no longer ‘free vs paid’).
As a result, the CBD might feel less car-dominated at weekends. Fewer drivers will ‘circle the block’ in the CBD searching for roadside parks. There’ll be less traffic to cycle amongst, and less pollution and congestion.
We’d love more support for people deciding whether to drive or walk/bike to the CBD at the weekend, for their whole journey or after parking further away. Two things that would help:
- more crossing time and priority when crossing roads
- better biking facilities – especially safer-feeling ways to get across the CBD.
* Title pun apologies to Donald Shoup‘s The High Cost of Free Parking, which explains why in far greater detail.