September CAW meeting

20180713_075226

Riding around Wellington is still a challenge but on the positive side the weather is improving, we have more day light and the Government is spending big on cycling infrastructure.   And we have the following discussion topics to excite you.

  • Government goodness; what has been announced.
  • Ngauranga-Petone improvements; the latest from NZTA.
  • Sharrows; your thoughts.
  • Wellington improvements; the latest from WCC.
  • Where to for CAW; updates from our planning workshop.

A short list, but other items may pop up closer to the time.

6-7:30pm 4 September, Sustainability Trust, 2 Forrester Lane.

Advertisements

Our August meeting: what we discussed

20180807_182216.jpg

  • Patrick gave a brief update on the Bicycle Mayor initiative, which was one of the topics at the 2Walk&Cycle conference last week.  This is being done in a number of places around the world to have a people’s champion push a positive message.   Some more planning needed before we look to launch this.
  • Ron explained that the Biketober initiative will be done next year when we have more time and assurance of the right support (e.g. funding).  Instead we will put our effort into making the Open Streets Wellington / Te Ara Tapare ki Pōneke event on 28 October a big success.  Ron’s partner has already come up with offers from her Ukelele and Dance groups to perform at our stand.  We also hoping to have the Dutch embassy partner with us with their stand and wooden bike.
  • We talked about issues with the buses.   A key message is that we need to do our bit to stay alert as new bus drivers are getting used to having to share the road with us.  MetLink and TranzUrban will look to join us next month for more of a discussion and explain how drivers are trained to be aware of vulnerable road users.  Not clear if drivers are allowing people to use the bike racks on all buses yet.  Hutt Council ran a facility to try out one of these racks.  Good to have this done at for example the Wellington railway station.
  • Patrick provided a few more highlights from the 2Walk&Cycle conference including our own wonderful Alastair Smith getting the well deserved “Outstanding Contribution to a Bike Friendly Future”.  NZTA talked about their shift to a multi-modal approach to transport.  Key speaker was Lucy Saunders who’s “Healthy Streets” is the discussion to have about new ways of improving our cities.
  • Volunteers are asked to help to trial the Sensible app and button to easily record people’s experiences of their trip.  Hamish McNair will be in Wellington on 24 August to give 30 of these Sensible units for people to trial over the weekend.   As he doesn’t have enough units yet to just them give away the idea is to provide as many people as possible the chance to try it out (for one ride or for the weekend).  More details in this article: Sensibel_article_wellington
  • An update was given on our monthly meeting with WCC to discuss cycling-related projects and concerns.  Items that were addressed:
    • New pedestrian islands should not put cyclists in conflict with cars because of creating a pinch point.  WCC will address this with their traffic department as there a standards to follow.
    • Councils around NZ are adopting chip seal as a cheaper option.  WCC will look at ensuring a smoother seal for key cycling routes.
    • WCC will talk to their parking reinforcement team about our suggestion that their wardens can get bikes to patrol areas like Thorndon Quay and Hutt Road.  This helps to legitimise and normalise use of bikes for work purposes.
    • WCC will look at what can be done to make the south-bound connection between Thorndon Quay and Bunny Street West safer as the recent road changes have narrowed the median strip, making it more dangerous for cyclists.  They will also check what is happening to the Bunny Street West improvements that Councillors had agreed to.
  • Some of the other items we briefly touched on
    • The government is doing a consultation on law changes about vehicles keeping a 1.5m distance from cyclists, allowing people on bikes on footpaths, improved give-way rules for intersections, and drivers having to give way to buses turning out of bus stops.
    • The online bike count is becoming more detailed, showing actual counts for specific monitoring points.
    • Advanced lights for cyclists for the Ohiro rd-Cleveland St intersection.

The high rewards of paid parking*

Wellington City Council are considering charging for weekend parking. We made a submission in support. Here’s what we wrote.

We support the proposal. We see three positive ‘behaviour change’ effects:

  • more people choosing to use public or active transport for weekend visits to the CBD
  • better availability of the existing roadside parks for those who need to drive
  • paid off-street parking becomes relatively more attractive (even if prices go up by the same amount, the comparison is no longer ‘free vs paid’).

As a result, the CBD might feel less car-dominated at weekends. Fewer drivers will ‘circle the block’ in the CBD searching for roadside parks. There’ll be less traffic to cycle amongst, and less pollution and congestion.

We’d love more support for people deciding whether to drive or walk/bike to the CBD at the weekend, for their whole journey or after parking further away. Two things that would help:

  • more crossing time and priority when crossing roads
  • better biking facilities – especially safer-feeling ways to get across the CBD.

* Title pun apologies to Donald Shoup‘s The High Cost of Free Parking, which explains why in far greater detail.

 

CAW August meeting

 

bicyclemayorLiggend-LR-969x650

What if we were able to vote on a bicycle mayor?  Who would we want to vote for?  Who would be that someone who could help to push for more open streets where people have priority over buses, trucks and cars?  Someone who can advocate for sensible cycling infrastructure.  Let’s talk about it this Tuesday!

  • A Bicycle Mayor for Wellington – Patrick
  • Update on Open Streets Wellington / Te Ara Tapare ki Pōneke – Ron
  • Buses and bikes, let’s be friends – TBC
  • A sensible cycling experience – Ron
  • Updates from our meeting with WCC – Linda
  • A new name / logo – Catarina
  • Behaviour change project – Hugh (WCC)

6-7:30pm, Tuesday 7 August, Sustainability Trust, 2 Forrester Lane.

July Meeting

Don’t let the cold weather put you off.
You’ll be warmly welcomed to this month’s meeting.

35114730_10209958778120227_2015922799654207488_o

A bit more of an informal and shorter agenda this month

  • Suggestion for topics to discuss
  • Updates from meetings
    • Regular meeting with NZTA
    • Discussion with the Hon Julie Anne Genter, Associate Minister of Transport
  • How can we ensure more diversity?
  • Planning for Biketober
  • Bike count
  • Rating our Councillors and Mayor

Tuesday 3rd July, 6-7:30pm, Sustainability Trust, 2 Forrester Lane

Notes from June meeting and AGM

  • A smaller crowd due to the bad weather.  
  • Our main topic was Making Berhampore, Newtown & Mt Cook safer for people on bikes
    • Important everyone has a say; we need to use our channels to get people to make their individual submissions.  Simply state why these improvements are important to you.
    • People outside this area can make a submission.
    • Good to see the number of submissions already made, including from kids!
    • WCC have published their stakeholder list but will keep updating this as other stakeholders come forward.
    • Important to the process empowers people in the community to say what ‘good’ looks like for their neighbourhoods and contribute options to make streets / areas feel better.
    • Bikes Welcome are looking how to activate Newtown-Berhampore as Bikes Welcome district.
      • Jo Clendon needs support to talk to businesses / stakeholders
      • Also looking for ideas for promotion during Biketober
      • A reminder that each  of us can refer a business to Bikes Welcome
      • Businesses can think of cyclists as “Wallets on wheels”
      • Idea of a #bikeselfie at businesses
  • We had some other quick topics
    • Alex presented some exciting artwork concepts to help rebrand CAW
      • Great timing as we need to swing into action to adopt the new “Cycle Wellington” name that the committee agreed last year.
      • Opportunity to launch the new name / brand at the Open Street event in October.
      • The Committee will look at the concepts and confirm with Alex.
      • We need to plan for example the branding changes in Facebook.
      • Catarina kindly offered to lead this work with Jill’s help.
    • Pablo discussed the Te Ara Tapere Open Streets event in October
      • Pablo is currently representing us at the planning meetings
      • Alongside a number of other organisations such as Les Mills, Living Streets Aotearoa, GWRC, etc
      • Event will be held for half a day only and will be part of a possible wider BikeTober event, similar to what is held in Christchurch and Auckland.
      • The route is a whole street closure between Post office square and Jesse Street.  Done to avoid undue impacts on bus routes and car traffic.
      • Other routes like Lambton Quay were discussed, but concluded that we give this event and the route our full support.  If it is a success, it gives license to do more and possibly other places.
      • We talked about how it ideally can eventually become a more regular larger central city closure similar to other cities.
      • Idea of activation space that people can use on the day to do performances; does not need to only be ‘official’ activities.
      • Pablo will use Facebook to ask for ideas.
    • Our submission on the Wellington 10 year plan
      • We supported the overall intent but would like to see more urgency
      • Not clear if the final decisions have been made yet – announcement still to come?
    • Updates from WCC about cycling related projects
      • Bike count showed mixed results – weather impact on some days but high numbers recorded on the one day of good weather
      • Permanent counters will help give a clearer picture without weather effects – planning to publish weekly / monthly counts online on the http://www.bikethere.org.nz website.
      • New path at Oriental Bay: we submitted that the path needs to be wider. Will this lead to conflict if crocodile bikes use the new path? To be monitored.
      • Hugh working on behaviour stuff.  Action Ron: Invite Hugh to discuss at next meeting
      • People are biking earlier and later along Thorndon Quay to avoid peak traffic
      • Noted the council investigated routing the bike and walking paths behind new petrol stations along Hutt Rd – not an option as this space would need to be purchased and would be more open to vandalism
      • All Hutt Rd exits will have judder bars
      • Council will look at danger of people exiting The Rigi onto Glenmore St without stopping.
      • Lots of project stuff happening in the background; will start becoming more visible.
  • 17:05 Our AGM items (25 mins)
    • The year that was
      • Busy with working groups and submissions
      • A number of wins, but also some losses because of car parking issues
      • Go By Bike Day taken over by WCC.  Good turn out despite weather and less publicity
      • Fantastic Love Cycling Awards event thanks to Jill’s amazing effort
    • Financial status presented by Linda and accepted.
    • Membership status presented by Sridhar.  Clear that new people getting involved are not always aware of the being able to sign up as financial members.
    • Roles
      • Proposed and formally agreed the committee and chair for the coming year
      • Alastair stepping down as secretary
      • Ron will take on role of secretary alongside continuing as the Chair – Sridhar will help with some tasks eg PO Box
      • Rest of the committee happy to continue as is
      • Nick joining the committee – has a focus on environmental law and planning
    • Our focus for the year ahead
      • Rebranding ourselves
      • Continued of focus on working groups and submissions
      • Drive for more paying members and more diverse membership
      • Using the good fit with the new Government transport policy to push our message for better, safer cycling infrastructure
      • Ensuring that LGWM supports the call for a focus on public and active transport
  • Other items
    • James talked about new bikes racks on buses;
      • Will roll out gradually – immediately for routes with new buses, then over the next few months where existing buses are used.
      • Metlink and GWRC will advertise online when this becomes available on what routes and how to use.
      • Will have a test rack for people to practice with (at the station?) and will be on show at the October Open streets event.

June Meeting & AGM

CAW 2018 AGM

Due to Queen’s Birthday weekend we’ll move our monthly weekend to the second week of June.  Below are the items on the agenda.  Quite a bit to go through so please help by keeping discussions to a minimum and focused.

  • 18:00 Introductions (10 mins).  And for new people in particular:
    • What brings you to this meeting
    • Any specific concern and how you may want to help our work
  • 18:10 Headline topic (30 mins):
    • Making Berhampore, Newtown & Mt Cook safer for people on bikes
  • 18:40 Quick topics (25 mins):
    • Ideas for the Open Streets event in October
    • Our submission on the Wellington 10 year plan
    • Updates from WCC about cycling related projects
  • 17:05 And our AGM items (25 mins)
    • The year that was
    • Financial status
    • The committee and chair for the coming year
    • Our focus
  • 17:30 Close of the meeting

12th June, 6-7:30pm, Sustainability Trust, 2 Forrester Lane

MAY MEETING

Some big ticket items to discuss this month

  • A couple of wins in the bag with Oriental Bay and Evans Bay Parade
  • But what about Thorndon Quay
  • How to change our culture to make it work better
  • Submissions on the Regional Land Transport Plan
  • Consultations on the go, e.g. WCC 10 year plan
  • Other projects in the pipeline
  • AGM next month
  • Open Streets happening in October
  • Thumbs up, thumbs down

6-7:30pm, 1 May, Sustainability Trust, Forrester Lane.   Invite someone new along!

Thorndon Quay, Biketober and more – report of the CAW April 2018 meeting

bicycleJunction-37
Associate Transport Minister Julie Ann Genter presents a special lifetime award to Jan Nesbit at the Love Cycling Awards

Here are some of the things discussed at the April Meeting:

  • Love Cycling Awards: Very successful, raises the bar for future events! Great atmosphere, TV3 coverage. Diversity of people attracted. A credit to the hard work and efficiency of Jill Ford.
  • Thorndon Quay. There have been around 400 submissions on the interim solution between Davis St and Mulgrave St. Oral submissions include informal consultations with councillors on 5 April, and formal submissions to the council as a whole on 12 April. The interim proposal sets a precedent for replacing angle parking by safer parallel parking; but the painted bike lanes don’t meet NZTA guidelines. Currently there is poor enforcement of the clearway.
  • Newtown connections are “next off the rank”. Bike Newtown will be revitalised to give feedback. There is a suggested route from Wilson St/Owen St around the back of the Hospital that could provide an interim solution for people coming from Kilbirnie to the CBD, but currently involves some steep steps.
  • Ron met with NZTA. Melling to Petone is expected to start in 2018, concern about connections for hill suburbs and Alicetown. Ngauranga to Petone is still on the horizon, need resource consent for reclamation. 2021 start. In the mean time, need to keep the SH2 shoulder clear and bike friendly.  SH58 from Hutt to Pauatahanui is being widened, with a slow lane for cyclists etc on the narrow section from SH2 junction. (An existing alternative is to turn right out of the Manor Park railway carpark onto Mcdougall Grove, then pick up the Old Haywards Rd past the transformer station)
containers narrowing shoulder, SH2 Petone/Ngauranga
Containers blocking SH2 shoulder at Ngauranga on ramp
  • Ngauranga interchange: WCC is widening the cycle path under motorway and around to stock entrance/bus stop.
  • AGM – in June, ideas for speaker/event welcomed. Your chance to volunteer for the committee!
  • We feel a need for a “Voice” for CAW – someone representing people we campaign for younger, female, Interested but Concerned. Some names suggested.
  • Membership. High visibility events such as the Love Cycling Awards attract people to our web site and FaceBook Group (Instagram is suggested to communicate with younger people). But our challenge is to get people to join as financial members. If you’re not a member, sign up now – it’ll be the best $50 you spent on cycling!
  • Biketober – Krissie and WCC are working together, hope to include an open streets event from PO square to Pukeahu.
  • Thumbs up, thumbs down
    • Tory St one way – part of a VUW architecture project It’s Tory Time which will result in a shared space for cars, cyclists and walkers. [Stop Press: the shared space has been opened up – looks good and an example of urban activation as promoted by Ellie]
    • Ellie suggests making Molesworth St contraflow.
    • Mark gave big ups for John Randal’s running a very successful Good Friday Criterium.
    • Ellie saw good news in the new Government Policy Statement on transport favouring cycling, and IPENZ Christchurch backing cycleways.
    • Ride for HELP are doing a presentation on their Tour Aotearoa ride, 1730 11 April Sustainability Trust.

CAW April Meeting

Easter-Bunny-Bicycle-Delivery

Hopefully you’ll all be energised after the Easter weekend for another exciting meeting!  On offer for discussion this time:

  • How to stay safe along Thorndon Quay during the darker days?
  • Updates from WCC and NZTA meetings
  • AGM – put it on your agenda for June
  • Having a new voice for CAW
  • Ideas for increasing membership
  • Biketober and Open Streets – promoting cycling
  • Tour Aotearoa slideshow
  • Thumbs up, thumbs down

Usual time & place.   6-7:30pm, Tuesday 3 April, Sustainability Trust, Forrester Lane.