Ride to Work: Fitter, Faster, Cleaner, Cheaper.
- Save money – Replacing 15km worth of car travel a week with bike trips saves you $500 p/a
- Save yourself – that same distance traveled will save you $1400 in future health costs and burn 91 calories per 2.5km trip – that’s a chocolate chip cookie’s worth or energy burnt!
- Save the environment – save 0.5kg of carbon being emitted per 2.5km biked, (170kg per year)
- Save time – in rush hour traffic, cyclists often overtake cars. Even when traveling at a slower pace, cyclists will catch up at traffic lights, and they save time at the end of their journey by being able to ‘park’ right outside the door http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/new-study-shows-urban-cycling-is-faster-than-driving.html
- It’s trendy. 73% increase in cyclists between 2006 – 2013 in Wellington http://wellington.govt.nz/your-council/news/2014/03/census-shows-big-rise-in-wellingtonians-cycling-and-walking
- It’s not that scary – 35 times safer than playing a game of rugby http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11195752
- Exhaust ain’t actually that bad: when stuck in traffic car occupants face 2-3x the exhaust fumes that cyclists breath in (just don’t suck on a tailpipe) http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/news/air-pollution-worst-inside-cars-research/
- Turn up to work happy and energised – reduces stress, anxiety and depression http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Cycling_health_benefits?open