Notes from June meeting and AGM

  • A smaller crowd due to the bad weather.  
  • Our main topic was Making Berhampore, Newtown & Mt Cook safer for people on bikes
    • Important everyone has a say; we need to use our channels to get people to make their individual submissions.  Simply state why these improvements are important to you.
    • People outside this area can make a submission.
    • Good to see the number of submissions already made, including from kids!
    • WCC have published their stakeholder list but will keep updating this as other stakeholders come forward.
    • Important to the process empowers people in the community to say what ‘good’ looks like for their neighbourhoods and contribute options to make streets / areas feel better.
    • Bikes Welcome are looking how to activate Newtown-Berhampore as Bikes Welcome district.
      • Jo Clendon needs support to talk to businesses / stakeholders
      • Also looking for ideas for promotion during Biketober
      • A reminder that each  of us can refer a business to Bikes Welcome
      • Businesses can think of cyclists as “Wallets on wheels”
      • Idea of a #bikeselfie at businesses
  • We had some other quick topics
    • Alex presented some exciting artwork concepts to help rebrand CAW
      • Great timing as we need to swing into action to adopt the new “Cycle Wellington” name that the committee agreed last year.
      • Opportunity to launch the new name / brand at the Open Street event in October.
      • The Committee will look at the concepts and confirm with Alex.
      • We need to plan for example the branding changes in Facebook.
      • Catarina kindly offered to lead this work with Jill’s help.
    • Pablo discussed the Te Ara Tapere Open Streets event in October
      • Pablo is currently representing us at the planning meetings
      • Alongside a number of other organisations such as Les Mills, Living Streets Aotearoa, GWRC, etc
      • Event will be held for half a day only and will be part of a possible wider BikeTober event, similar to what is held in Christchurch and Auckland.
      • The route is a whole street closure between Post office square and Jesse Street.  Done to avoid undue impacts on bus routes and car traffic.
      • Other routes like Lambton Quay were discussed, but concluded that we give this event and the route our full support.  If it is a success, it gives license to do more and possibly other places.
      • We talked about how it ideally can eventually become a more regular larger central city closure similar to other cities.
      • Idea of activation space that people can use on the day to do performances; does not need to only be ‘official’ activities.
      • Pablo will use Facebook to ask for ideas.
    • Our submission on the Wellington 10 year plan
      • We supported the overall intent but would like to see more urgency
      • Not clear if the final decisions have been made yet – announcement still to come?
    • Updates from WCC about cycling related projects
      • Bike count showed mixed results – weather impact on some days but high numbers recorded on the one day of good weather
      • Permanent counters will help give a clearer picture without weather effects – planning to publish weekly / monthly counts online on the http://www.bikethere.org.nz website.
      • New path at Oriental Bay: we submitted that the path needs to be wider. Will this lead to conflict if crocodile bikes use the new path? To be monitored.
      • Hugh working on behaviour stuff.  Action Ron: Invite Hugh to discuss at next meeting
      • People are biking earlier and later along Thorndon Quay to avoid peak traffic
      • Noted the council investigated routing the bike and walking paths behind new petrol stations along Hutt Rd – not an option as this space would need to be purchased and would be more open to vandalism
      • All Hutt Rd exits will have judder bars
      • Council will look at danger of people exiting The Rigi onto Glenmore St without stopping.
      • Lots of project stuff happening in the background; will start becoming more visible.
  • 17:05 Our AGM items (25 mins)
    • The year that was
      • Busy with working groups and submissions
      • A number of wins, but also some losses because of car parking issues
      • Go By Bike Day taken over by WCC.  Good turn out despite weather and less publicity
      • Fantastic Love Cycling Awards event thanks to Jill’s amazing effort
    • Financial status presented by Linda and accepted.
    • Membership status presented by Sridhar.  Clear that new people getting involved are not always aware of the being able to sign up as financial members.
    • Roles
      • Proposed and formally agreed the committee and chair for the coming year
      • Alastair stepping down as secretary
      • Ron will take on role of secretary alongside continuing as the Chair – Sridhar will help with some tasks eg PO Box
      • Rest of the committee happy to continue as is
      • Nick joining the committee – has a focus on environmental law and planning
    • Our focus for the year ahead
      • Rebranding ourselves
      • Continued of focus on working groups and submissions
      • Drive for more paying members and more diverse membership
      • Using the good fit with the new Government transport policy to push our message for better, safer cycling infrastructure
      • Ensuring that LGWM supports the call for a focus on public and active transport
  • Other items
    • James talked about new bikes racks on buses;
      • Will roll out gradually – immediately for routes with new buses, then over the next few months where existing buses are used.
      • Metlink and GWRC will advertise online when this becomes available on what routes and how to use.
      • Will have a test rack for people to practice with (at the station?) and will be on show at the October Open streets event.
Advertisements