You may have heard Wellington City Council this week approved a concept design for a revised cycleway along The Parade in Island Bay. The approved concept is based on the options presented for consultation. But it combines aspects of different options (as the council said it might), and also includes amendments introduced by the Mayor after discussions with Island Bay Residents Association.
To understand the concept that was approved, you need to combine two descriptions:
- the recommended design council officers presented to the councillors ahead of the meeting, as a result of the Love the Bay and The Parade public engagement and consultation process [page 167 of the meeting agenda and report – warning, 40MB+ PDF to download]
- the amendments introduced by the Mayor, which match the announcement the council made.
The basic cross-sections in the residential and village areas look like this (pic from WCC):
This is roughly similar to Option D from the consultation, but with wider traffic lanes. and a wider western footpath in the residential zone.
Compared to today, the biggest changes for cycling are:
- the cycleway will continue through the village
- the cycleway will be raised above road height
- cars will be parked against a kerb – easier for parking without encroaching into the cycleway.
We’ll post again soon, looking at the features you can’t see in the cross-section and giving some of our thoughts and hopes for the detailed design.