[Previous AGM report here]
Present: Ron, Peter Bu, Patrick, Alex, James, Sridhar, Frank, Andrew, Peter Ba, Ben, Mark, Paul Br, Linda, Nick, Andy F, Sean, Alastair
APOLOGIES: Andy Gow
Chair Ron Beernink reviewed the year.
- By September 2017 any changes to Island Bay should be known.
- Work on the Hutt Road Shared Path has started, working north in 100m section.
- Let’s Get Wellington Moving is proceeding, although not as fast as we’d like.
- We’re seeing more non-Lycra cyclists around town
Treasurer Linda Beatson reviewed our finances
- Plenty of money in the bank. Apparent deficit is due to overlapping years, and late payment of our share of CAN subscriptions.
- Andrew asked if we’d considered becoming a charity so tax isn’t paid on donations. James responded that reporting requirements are more onerous, and Alastair suggested CAN (which is registered) might be able to make better use of donations.
- Finances approved subject to final approval by committee. Final 2016 financial report.
Chair: Ron Beernink
Treasurer: Linda Beatson
Membership secretary: Sridhar Ekambaram
Minutes secretary: Alastair Smith
Submissions leads: Eleanor Meecham, Alastair Smith
SASTRG reps: David Laing, James Burgess
General committee: James Burgess, Patrick Morgan, Sean Linton
Andy Gow, Andrew Macbeth, Nick Ravi, and Benjamin Burkhart prepared to help out on an ad hoc basis.
- Discussed getting the message out: social media (Bike Auckland have a paid role for this), email, conventional media
- Have asked that Kaiwharawhara station be reopened to provide options for people who drive to Hutt Rd and park. Metlink not keen.
- Urban Cycling Programme on a tight timeframe
- Consultations coming up on Petone to Ngauranga.
Urban Cycling projects: Ron, James and Alastair reported back on workshops for Thorndon Quay, Oriental Bay, Evans Bay, Kilbirnie and Miramar. Newtown-Berhampore will be coming up soon.
Discussed implications of footpath cycling Select Committee report.
Roadworks signs on cycle lanes and shoulders have been a problem. Ron is pursuing with NZTA.
WCC has responded swiftly to deal with misplaced sharrows.
Thumbs up/ Thumbs down:
- Benjamin: Metlink bus blocking lane at Thorndon Quay
- Andrew: uncomfortable cycling uphill on Terrace south of Salamanca, remove parking at rush hour – could apply on other arterial uphill routes
- Paul: free left turn for cyclists? NZTA is investigating a rule change.
- Alex: Congestion Free Wellington is a new organisation campaigning for better transport options.
- Ron: support bus drivers, generally good to cyclists
- Andrew: changes in public transport are looking to improve overall service
- James: post AGM pub visit….