Here’s what we discussed at the CAW meeting 7 June 2016.
- Eastern suburbs – oral submissions on 8 June.
- Hutt Road – WCC have gone for phased approach, GHW endorsed. CAW survey to see what parking etc is a problem. We also discussed options for a shoreline route from Ngauranga to Aotea Quay, but this will be a long term goal, and there is still a need for a Hutt Rd cycleway for people from Ngaio, Khandallah etc. Submission led to good collaboration with Living Streets.
Recent infrastructure issues:
- SH2 – logging trucks at Ngauranga creating issue for cyclists, NZTA / WCC stopped operation
- Temporary closure of eastern lane on Waterloo quay north of Whitmore. James has referred to Council. Good opportunity to see what a lane on the Quay would achieve?
- Ron Beernink and Timon (from Hutt Cycle Network) met with Paul Barker of WCC.
- Ron met with Ciclocivica who are to help NZTA engage on Urban Cycling Programme.
- Bikes on buses is being progressed as part of new bus tenders.
- James attended Vulnerable Road Users group meeting at WCC. Chat about procedures for reporting incidents. James will do post for CAW blog.
- A Committee planning workshop is being scheduled
Road User Behaviour: Ben is progressing some ideas.
Local Body Elections: discussed ideas to get cycling on the agenda in a positive way.
2 Walk and Cycle conference. Hilleke, Patrick, and Alastair going. CAW will support financially.
Rants & Raves
- Ron: Acknowledged James’ efforts as chair.
- Ben did the the Korokoro walkway.
- Hilleke: Started Bike KREW promoting kids riding.
- Frocks on Bikes planning film night, progressive dinner for Wellington on a Plate.
- WCC taking on Go By Bike Day. Frees CAW up for other events?
- Patrick: work being done on minimum passing distances.
- Alastair organising lobbying Webinar for CAN, 28 Jun.
- Andy: need for garage door Bike Fixup location, UK looking at legislation on passing distances.